John W. Hammond, a sea captain and member of the parish, built the structure to his own design. A simple rectangle with a steeply hipped roof, it was constructed largely of redwood logged in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
In 1876, the church was cut in half and pulled apart by horse teams and the front was shifted to face North Second Street, increasing the building’s capacity two-fold. It was rebuilt in the form of a cross and features fine interior carpentry. A bell tower was added at this time, and in 1884, additions included the church rooms, the tower and spire.
Trinity Cathedral is featured on
Cathedrals of California.
More historic information:
SFGenealogy.com – Trinity Church
History Articles Posted to our Blog: